Thursday, May 14, 2009
Become Your own Green Goddess!
What does it mean to become a green goddess you ask...well let me tell you!
I had four lovely goddesses join in on my "GREEN GODDESS" cooking class last night. We teamed up and cooked up a storm of delicious and nutritious green dominant recipes. It was a great night, everyone learned about different greens and how to use them in simple and tasty recipes.
If you are not yet acquainted with the array of greens that exist, I am going to give you a bit of an introduction and some reasoning behind why consuming green veggies on a daily basis is absolutely crucial to your health and well being. That way you can also learn how to make delicious recipes and become a green goddess in the kitchen!
Here are some reasons why you need to consume greens everyday...
- Greens are cleansing, they are alkaline forming, purify your liver and aid in detoxification
- Greens regulate bowel movements and clean out the intestine and prevent constipation
- Greens provide good amounts of calcium, protein, magnesium, zinc and antioxidants that are essential to good health such as vitamin c, magnesium, folic acid and beta carotene
- Greens give you boundless amounts of energy – just try it! Start your day with a fresh pressed vegetable juice and you will see the amount of abundant energy you have for the rest of the day
- A healthy intake of green leafy vegetables reduces your cravings for sugar (and help to regulate blood sugar), fried foods and processed foods, coffee and alcohol
- Greens are and excellent source of fibre
- Greens remove toxins from the body and bloodstream and prevent diseases such as obesity, diabetes, heart disease and cancer- greens are excellent to consume as part of cancer therapy and treatment!
- Greens strengthen the immune system for overall health
- Just remember that a meal isn’t a meal without a portion of greens, just make sure that you are getting in your daily dose
There are many ways to incorporate greens into your life and become your own Green Goddess- I have even mentioned a few options before in previous blog posts - such as juicing or masking them in smoothies (for the fussy ones)!
Otherwise- a simple salad will do - but make sure to use dark greens such as arugula, spinach, spring mix or romaine. You can also steam, saute, braise or stir fry greens such as kale, collards, bok choy, green beans, broccoli, swiss chard, beet greens the list goes on. Just be sure not to overcook them or you will loose their precious nutrients. A great resource for getting started and learning about the different greens that exist out there and how to prepare them - is a book called "Greens Glorious Greens" by Johnna Albi & Catherine Walthers. They introduce greens in a fabulous way that is not intimidating but rather encouraging and exciting! In the meantime...here is a simple recipe to get your inner green goddess going:
Green Goddess Salad Dressing
1-3 cups of mixed salad greens (arugula, baby spinach, spring mix)
1 medium avocado
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1/8 cup cold pressed sunflower oil or extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp rice syrup
1/2 tsp salt
1 pinch cayenne
1/2 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1/8 cup parsley
1/8 cup green onion
1/4 cup spinach
Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit, scoop the flesh into the blender, add everything else and blend very thoroughly- until you have creamy and thick dressing.