Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Frustrated, Depressed and Angry...But Inspired To Make a Change!



Well I am pretty much on that path already...to make a change that is. The focus of my business and my whole philosophy is stemmed around wholesome and organic foods. Not only the foods themselves but the impact that these foods have on our everyday health and well being. So to reinforce my immense passion for food, I went to go see an advanced screening of FOOD INC. last night. I was invited to join Lisa Borden of Borden Communications to view this life changing film about the industry of food. You will also have a chance to go and see it this Friday June 19th in select theaters around Toronto.

I was all excited and expecting to run into some other nutrition junkies and other health focused/ like minded people- but instead I was shocked to see that the theater was filled with people who most likely didn't know anything about the film - which was actually a good thing in the end. I was even more shocked at the fact that more than 80% of these individuals were stocked up on bags full of popcorn of the worst kind (made with genetically modified corn, loaded with hydrogenated oils and butter and low quality salt), liquid sugared sodas and candy. Well maybe I am not that shocked, as this is common. People go to the movies and order popcorn...right?
Well if we were to look that majority of people, whether it is in Toronto or North America for that matter - this is the mainstream, and these are the individuals who need to make these changes and understand where their packaged, processed and fast food is actually coming from. For that reason alone it should not have been a theater full of people like me who are already converted and sold on the power and healing potential of whole foods!

So of course, I felt sorry for anyone who was snacking on popcorn and candy during the movie - as they would have learned very quickly where their buttery kernels actually came from and that High Fructose Corn Syrup was the basis of their coca-cola and junior mints. This extracted and concentrated syrup made from corn as you will learn from the film leads to all kinds problems like obesity, diabetes and heart disease.

On a more positive note, I truly hope that these individuals where awakened, enlightened or at least ready to make some changes in their daily food choices. Honestly after seeing this film I don't know how you couldn't. Whether you are an omnivore, vegetarian or vegan. There is something for everyone to learn.

Even though I consider myself fairly informed of most of the issues in the modern food industry, I have to say that I my eyes were even opened to some of the disturbing political issues around food and the meat industry. This of course left me frustrated, depressed and angry at all the information that was presented in this film.

To be honest though -all of this actually fueled my fire and confirmed my passion to continue to inspire individuals to make healthy choices around food. Through my ongoing workshops, seminars, cooking classes and of course my blog - I strive to educate people on how they can make changes everyday by simply making healthier and more natural food choices. These changes can be as simple as buying more organic fruit, vegetables, meat, dairy or adopting a more plant based diet and of course buying local, buying seasonal, or planting your own garden...as you will see, these are some of the tips at the end of the film! Go and find out for yourself what FOOD INC is all about. If you can't get to it...wait, as I will be hosting a screening and a discussion in the fall!

In the meantime you can TAKE PART and start to make a change!

No comments: