Monday, August 31, 2009

The BEST night EVER!

These are the wise words of David Wolfe - a renown guru in the world of raw foods. I had the opportunity last night to go and see him speak in Orangeville Ontario. Even though he racaps on so much of what I know - he always has a way of taking nutrition to a whole other level beyond most people's consciousness.
The emphasis last night was on Superfoods. This term has been coined to emphasize food from nature which has superior health benefits. The best part is that these foods are so widely available to us - literally they are all around us in nature. Unfortunately most people don't even know what true superfoods are or better yet what they can do for our body, our mind and of course our health. Superfoods are foods that have unique properties that have the ability to nourish our body in more than one way. For instance on single food item (such as goji berries) may contain not only protein, but also immune properties, antioxidants and trace minerals. So in one single tiny berry you are getting an array of health benefits. Other superfoods - according to David Wolfe include Cacao (yes this is chocolate), maca, bee products, blue green algae, marine phytoplankton, aloe vera, hemp seed and coconuts.
So last night I went with a friend to watch and be inspired by David Wolfe's magnetic energy about superfoods. You can't help but feel his buzz and become pumped about all the benefits that these foods have to offer. Before I had arrived at the lecture, I was feeling a little tired from the long day I had, luckily there was a chocolate elixir available for me to drink and this perked me right up and made me feel amazing. I mean, who wouldn't want to drink a cup full of chocolate goodness? I am talking about chocolate in it's purest sense- no dairy and no unnatural sugars, only filled with herbal extracts and other super healthy goodies. This was followed by a slice of heavenly cheesecake made from cashews and coconut butter...I was in heaven!

David Wolfe with a Bag of Goji Berries on his head! - sorry for the poor quality pictures, I only had my phone available!

Since I already have been including superfoods in my diet for a long time - I thought I would share my favourite super smoothie recipe with you!

Chocolaty Super Food Smoothie!

1-2 cups almond milk
1-2 scoops of sunwarrior chocolate rice protein powder
2 tablespoons goji berries
1 tablespoon raw cacao or cacao nibs
1 tablespoon hempseeds
1 tablespoon coconut oil or butter
1 frozen banana
1 tsp maca powder
1 tsp cinnamon


Place all ingredients in blender or vita-mix and blend until smooth and creamy!
Enjoy!!

No comments: